POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2009 18:21:16
Message: <4a2848dc@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Yeah, certainly if there was some physical shop which refused to sell
> anything to anyone coming from eg. the middle-East or Africa, that would
> certainly cause a huge commotion and a bunch of lawsuits. But seemingly
> online stores are exempt from this law, for some reason? Exactly what is
> this based on?

I'm not sure if the US's laws based on ethnicity (i.e., your ancestors were
from there) or based on citizenship.  I mean, I know many
anti-discrimination laws disallow discrimination based on ethnicity. I just
don't know if you're allowed to say "I don't sell to South Africans
regardless of skin color" for example. It would make an interesting lawsuit.

We had one in California I think it was... the community (aka "home-owner's
association", the group responsible for maintaining the local roads, local
parks, paying for trash collection, etc) had passed regulations that you
weren't allowed to sell the house to lawyers, because lawyers sue too much.
A lawyer tried to buy, wasn't allowed to, and sued. Interestingly, it was
upheld because profession isn't one of the things you're disallowed from
discriminating against.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)