POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 4 Jun 2009 15:20:10
Message: <4a281e6a@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 14:52:06 -0400, Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay wrote:
>
>> It's entirely legal (again, DMCA not withstanding).
>
> I would like to see a reference for that, though - because I've never
> heard this before Darren mentioned it.

If we can agree that it's essentially reverse engineering, then:
http://www.chillingeffects.org/reverse/faq.cgi#QID195

However, decompiling computer software may not legally be defined as reverse
engineering, so it's less clear.  Nevertheless, DMCA aside, it has never
been illegal to do anything you want to any copyrighted work, short of
copying and/or distributing content.  If you buy a Steve King book and add
your own chapters, it's not illegal until you begin distributing the book
along with your changes.  Additionally, it's not illegal to sell copies of
solely your addtions.  Nevertheless, if you sucessfully began selling your
additions, you would likely get the pants sued off of you, because while you
did not commit a crime, you have opened yourself up to a civil tort.