POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:03:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: scott
Date: 4 Jun 2009 07:14:30
Message: <4a27ac96@news.povray.org>
>  Copying what over?

Just the 1GB file that is fragmented so badly.  If the destination drive has
enough non-fragmented free space the file should be defragmented as it is
copied.  If your original drive has enough non-fragmented free space you can
then just copy it back and it should be in a much better state.  Note that
if this file is a windows system file you might need to do this outside of
windows for obvious reasons.

>  I'm not exactly sure XP survives such a transfer while still being fully
> bootable from the new drive. Does it?

I don't see any big reasons why it wouldn't survive, you might have to
fiddle with a couple of things before it booted though (like MBR and the
boot.ini file).  There are also lots of 3rd party programs that will do this
automatically for you, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a freeware one.