POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 06:59:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Warp
Date: 4 Jun 2009 06:25:03
Message: <4a27a0ff@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > Exactly how is that going to help?

> Well just the act of copying it over to another hard drive will probably
> defragment it

  Copying what over? The entire Windows installation?

  I'm not exactly sure XP survives such a transfer while still being fully
bootable from the new drive. Does it?

  (I know from experience that a linux system can be fully transferred from
one disk to another with a simple "cp -ax", and it will then work identically
when the disks are swapped. However, I have got the impression that with
Windows it's not that easy.)

  Anyways, it's just one fragmented file. It's not such a big deal. I'm just
wondering *why* the small files are not being compacted to the beginning of
the partition in order to create a larger contiguous empty space.

--
                                                          - Warp