POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Objective comparison of computer languages. : Re: Objective comparison of computer languages. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objective comparison of computer languages.
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Jun 2009 05:58:47
Message: <4a279ad7$1@news.povray.org>
>> Really? That's interesting. So how do you explain the fact that I keep
>> having to manually install it?
>>
>> Oh, wait - you probably meant it comes with Vista.
>
> It's also an MS automatic update download for XP (and included in some
> XP SP) IIRC.

I beg to differ. Just yesterday I set up a brand new laptop, installed
XP, installed SP3, installed all critical updates. I still had to select
to install the .NET framework seperately; it is *not* installed
automatically. (But IE8 is, interestingly enough...)

> So if you're in a company and have the updates managed
> locally then it should be fairly trivial to push it out to all XP machines.

Yes. In fact, that happens here (now). Apparently .NET 3.5 SP1 includes
an update tp the RDP client which we need.

>> The 25 to 30 minutes was just thrashing the HD back and forth.
>
> Sounds like you were running low on hard disc space or RAM, how old was
> the machine?

It was a brand new Dell OptiPlex 755.