POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Objective comparison of computer languages. : Re: Objective comparison of computer languages. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objective comparison of computer languages.
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Jun 2009 05:36:34
Message: <4a2795a2@news.povray.org>
>>> .NET comes with Windows nowadays.
>
>> Oh, wait - you probably meant it comes with Vista.
>
> That's pretty much what "nowadays" means, yes.

Does *anybody* use Vista yet? Still seems pretty rare.

> Sure, if you're running
> an OS version that was released before .NET was, it makes it hard to
> come with.

I thought maybe you were claiming that it was added by one of the
service packs or something. (The Windows Firewall didn't exist before
SP2, for example.)

>> The 25 to 30 minutes was just thrashing the HD back and forth.
>
> You just like complaining, don't you? :-)

The Java runtime takes, like 2 minutes _maximum_ to install. Only the
.NET framework takes 25 minutes.

>> In other words, it makes things easier for the developers, not the end
>> users.
>
> For both, really. Indeed, that's what the whole "one click" fiasco is
> about. And you get less malware and unexplained lockups when the
> software you're running is written in .NET, because it's checking for
> buffer overruns and such.

Assuming there's no buffer overruns in the runtime engine itself. (I
notice how as soon as I install .NET, a whole bunch of extra hotfixes
show up as needing to be applied...)