POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Warp
Date: 4 Jun 2009 02:46:39
Message: <4a276dcf@news.povray.org>
I don't understand the problems I'm getting defragmenting.

  I'm trying to defragment my primary Windows partition, which is NTFS.
It's failing to defragment one big file because there's "no space" for it.
The file is about 1 GB in size, and there's over 9 GB of free space in the
partition.

  The problem is that while defrag is defragmenting all the other files,
for some reason it's only compacting *some* of the files to be at the
beginning of the partition, but not others. The free space is scattered
with tiny small files which the defragmenter is not compacting, even though
it compacted other files just fine. The majority of the contents were nicely
packed to the beginning of the partition, except for these hundreds of tiny
files. And no, the tiny files are *not* marked as "unmovable". They are
marked with the same color as all the other movable files.

  The other, lighter defragger is behaving the exact same way: It's just
refusing to move these small files, and consequently failing to defrag the
one huge file. No reason is given in either the visual representation of the
drive (all these tiny files are colored as regular, movable data) nor the
analysis reports for this.

  As a consequence, I simply *can't* add any file bigger than a certain size
to this partition without it becoming fragmented. There isn't enough
contiguous free space because of all these scattered tiny files.

  I can't understand why both programs are doing this.

--
                                                          - Warp