POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 3 Jun 2009 19:02:11
Message: <4a2700f3@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>
>>   I can't understand why defragmentation takes such humongous amounts of
>> time. There were something like 40 or 50 GB worth of fragmented data,
>> but if you calculate how many times you can copy 50 GB inside a modern
>> SATA disk, I think that in 35 hours you could copy it over and over
>> thousands of times. (Assuming it would take 1 minute to copy 50 GB of
>> data, you could copy it over 2000 times in 35 hours.)
>>
>>   Why does it take such a humongous amount of time? I can't understand.
>
> Defragging is limited primarily by how fast you can thrash the heads
> back and forth, not by the maximum sequential transfer speed for the drive.
>
> I bet solid-state drives would defrag a lot faster. (But then, why would
> you bother defragging a solid-state drive in the first place?)

SSD also has limited "write" times, so, defragging the thing would end
up re-writing the data, and thus hastening the death of the media. Its
why most OSes that use them are "tweaked" so they never, if possible,
write the same file back to the same sectors each time, they way you
would on a HDD.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {