POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Objective comparison of computer languages. : Re: Objective comparison of computer languages. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objective comparison of computer languages.
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Jun 2009 11:57:42
Message: <4a269d76$1@news.povray.org>
>> All I know is that we used to use one bit of software that required
>> the .NET 1.1 runtime,
>
> So the fact they're up to 3.5.x doesn't signal that maybe something
> different is going on nowadays?  Damn, if everyone using Linux or
> something said "Gee, when I tried it 5 years ago, it was a PITA to
> install, so I never looked at it again" it never would have gotten off
> the ground.
>
> .NET comes with Windows nowadays. If you don't have it on there already,
> chances are you don't have an internet connection fast enough to
> download a program, either.

Really? That's interesting. So how do you explain the fact that I keep
having to manually install it?

Oh, wait - you probably meant it comes with Vista.

>> which basically meant you had to wait 25 to 30 minutes for the runtime
>> to install
>
> Wouldn't it have made more sense to put it on a CD and install it?

I *did*.

The 25 to 30 minutes was just thrashing the HD back and forth.

>> I always wondered why the hell anybody would
>> develop software this way...
>
> Because you only have to do it once, and it's a pretty nice infrastructure.

In other words, it makes things easier for the developers, not the end
users.