POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. : Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. Server Time
19 May 2024 11:14:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations.
From: scott
Date: 3 Jun 2009 04:28:00
Message: <4a263410@news.povray.org>
> First, POV is highly automated.  That is, it is perfectly possible to
> start a render, walk away, and get the finished result.  Interrupting this
> process to ask a question would be a change in style (not necessarily bad,
> just needs to be pointed out).

Yes, I hadn't thought about that, if a scene takes a long time to parse and
the camera block is defined right at the end, then it could be a long time
before POV realises there is a mismatch.  Perhaps it could be one of those
"10 seconds to decide then I'll do it for you" boxes? IDK what the ideal
solution would be, maybe some global setting if this seems to be a personal
preference?

> As far as "specifically [writing] in the camera block" goes, scene authors
> already do that.  They use the "up" and "right" vectors, as well as the
> "angle" keyword, to define very specific viewports into their scenes.
>
> Omitting these parameters is not the same as saying you don't care; it is
> still saying that you want a very specific set of parameters, just that
> these parameters happen to be the default ones.

Sure, but any defaults (not just inside camera) should be based on what most
people use most of the time, so that logically most people can avoid having
to write those statements too often.

The discussion should be about what is the most common requirement from
scene authors and scene renderers on the camera in terms of aspect ratio.
IMO it is *not* the most common requirement that an image is rendered with
non-square pixels, so it seems silly to have this as the default behaviour.
That's all.