POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Heavy metal : Re: Heavy metal Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heavy metal
From: John VanSickle
Date: 2 Jun 2009 20:30:59
Message: <4a25c443$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> OK, so I've been experimenting with Wolfram's Alpha thingy. Useful if
> you happen to want to know how long 10^15 seconds is, if you want a
> graph quickly, or if you want to look up the electrical resistence of
> silicon. Not much use for anything else.
>
> I did find some interesting information though...
>
> Alpha claims that the current trading price for gold is approximately

> t. (I had no idea Platinum was so expensive!)

A Troy ounce is 480 grains.  There are 7000 grains in a pound.  This
makes a Troy ounce about 31.1 grams or so.

> I tried to get similar data for other substances, but Wolfram's "data
> curators" evidently haven't got that far yet. I did find a website
> though that claims that the London Metal Exchange has the following prices:
>
>   Sn $14.325 / Kg
>   Ni $13.770 / Kg
>   Cu $ 4.776 / Kg
>   Pd $ 1.530 / Kg
>   Zn $ 1.509 / Kg
>   Al $ 1.384 / Kg

I'm rather surprised to see palladium going for $1.53 for a kilogram,
rather than $240 or so per ounce like it does on other sites, so I'd
have to say that Pd is really supposed to be Pb (AKA lead) above.

Regards,
John