POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : First one down : Re: Wakeup call Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wakeup call
From: John VanSickle
Date: 2 Jun 2009 20:16:36
Message: <4a25c0e4$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Do you know what happens if you plug a PC into the mains while it's
> configured for 110V rather than 230V?
>
> I do now... ;-)
>
> Mmm, the acrid smell of fried capacitor, with a hint of inductance coil
> winding. My favourit smell in the morning.

Happened all the time while I was stationed in Germany.  I was head of
the shop that handled desktop computer hardware maintenance for our
unit.  Our buildings had both 110V and 220V power sockets.

After a few instances, I put an end to the practice of calling these in
as warranty failures, and told customers (and the guys who did software
installation) that whoever did this was paying for the new PS.

Regards,
John