POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Heavy metal : Re: Heavy metal Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heavy metal
From: scott
Date: 2 Jun 2009 05:04:29
Message: <4a24eb1d$1@news.povray.org>
> This table is completely baffling to me. As everybody knows, Alunimium is
> about the most expensive metal you can buy (except for weird stuff like
> Titanium, or the "precious metals" like Gold or Silver),

Ermm no, a more accurate statement would be that aluminium is about the
cheapest metal you can buy, except for plain old steel.

Also note that if you need a part of a certain strength, you can usually
make it using less mass (although more volume) of aluminium compared to
steel.  That's why aluminium is used in things that need to be light
(planes, cars), but steel is used in things that need to be very small (eg
mobile phones, cameras).