POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Objective comparison of computer languages. : Re: Objective comparison of computer languages. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objective comparison of computer languages.
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Jun 2009 17:41:52
Message: <4a244b20$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   There are only two closely related languages which all these significantly
> different platforms have in common: C and C++.

And Javascript. :-)  I think Javascript is rapidly becoming one of the few
languages ported to lots of places, because everyone wants a standard way of
building a UI.

And objective-C, I thought? Isn't Obj-C what all the Mac stuff is written in
at the system layer?

I'm wondering how that works out if you discount cross-compilers. Or if
someone spent a fair amount of time building cross-compilers for other
languages. Certainly FORTH would be trivial to put on any of these machines
if anyone wanted it.

I've worked on a number of platforms that almost supported C, and which
certainly weren't anywhere near what you'd call "standard" - no math lib, no
stdio, no pointers to functions, etc. There are also chips that only support
their own custom language, often based on BASIC or something.

But yes, knowing C is pretty much a prerequisite for working on any machine
that doesn't come from the electronics warehouse down the road. :)

> and instead have to rely on heavy-duty runtime environments or libraries
> which are very uncommon in those platforms.

Given people are porting Linux to cell phones and set-top boxes, it seems to
me it's way out of the "embedded" range. If your CPU has an MMU, you're no
longer writing code for an "embedded" machine, but embedded code for a
general-purpose machine. :-) Now get off my lawn.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)