POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:30:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Jun 2009 17:25:47
Message: <4a24475b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Why would FAT32 become slow with partitions that large?

The FAT table is pre-allocated.

>   And anyways, no matter how slow it is, it still doesn't explain why
> defragmenting 50 GB takes 35 hours.

Lots of seeks due to trying to make it reliable even when people like you
pull the plug in the middle. ;-)

>   Why can't defragmenters do exactly that when there's over half of free
> space in the partition?

They can if they want. You're going to be even slower, tho, because you're
going to be seeking back and forth between the directory, the FAT, and the
data, and now you're seeking even farther.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)