POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is defragging so slow? : Re: Why is defragging so slow? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is defragging so slow?
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Jun 2009 17:23:01
Message: <4a2446b5$1@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 22:07:26 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>>   I have a secondary 180GB FAT32 partition
>
> That would be the biggest problem right there. FAT32 is really horrible
> on partitions that large.

Oh, I didn't even see that part. Yes, agreed - the free space map on a FAT32
partition that big is huge, and at the wrong end of the disk. :-) To defrag
a piece of file, it has to read the the directory entry, then the FAT to get
the location of the file, then read the FAT to find a free space, allocate
the free space, sync the FAT, copy the sectors, sync the sectors, change the
directory, sync the directory, then re-read the FAT and fix the previously
allocated sectors to be free, and sync the FAT.  Lather rinse repeat.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)