POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Advanced : Re: Advanced Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:32:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advanced
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 30 May 2009 19:33:03
Message: <4a21c22f$1@news.povray.org>
>I have a candle on my windowsil. Do you know, I looked at it this
> afternoon, and it had *melted* in the sun. It's now actually welded to
> the sil; I can't move it at all.
>
> Do you have any idea what the hell temperature parafin wax melts at?
>
> Friggin' ADVANCED! o_O

Paraffin is a by-product of oil refinement.
Essentially it's just solids from mineral oil.

Typically, paraffin used to seal canning jars melts
at a little lower temperature than "candle wax".

Those cheap tea-light candles are mostly paraffin
too, I think. A good bees-wax candle will melt
at a higher temperature, so it will also burn longer.

Taper candles are dipped by the wick. I think
sometimes the center starter wax in a taper
is more paraffin than the outside colored waxes.

Xylene, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylene
(aka Goof Off, http://www.goof-off.com/)
should be able to remove what's left after you
chip off the majority of the mess. I'm not sure
what brand that goes by in the UK.