POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frightening technology : Re: Frightening technology Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frightening technology
From: Warp
Date: 29 May 2009 17:11:38
Message: <4a204f8a@news.povray.org>
> Interestingly, all the floppies I own have gradually stopped working.
> Almost every single one of them now regularly has bad sectors or
> suddenly shows up as "not formatted". I guess because they're so old now...

  I think that's because they are a magnetic storage media, which
degrades over time. Optical media has the advantage that it doesn't
degrade. If it only was as protected as the 3.5-inch floppies, they
would be almost perfect...

> As I said note... What the **** do they make the actual disk out of?
> Because man, it's unbreakable! They should make shopping bags out of
> that stuff!!

  They aren't unbreakable. At least DVD-R's aren't. Bend them enough and
they will shatter into a hundred tiny (razor-sharp) pieces.

--
                                                          - Warp