POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. : Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations. Server Time
7 May 2024 08:32:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New camera, or new camera docs illustrations.
From: scott
Date: 29 May 2009 03:53:13
Message: <4a1f9469$1@news.povray.org>
>>> What's wrong with the "angle" keyword?
>>
>> It isn't obvious from the keyword exactly what it sets, and there isn't a
>> vertical equivalent.
>
> From 3.3.1.1.3:
> "The angle keyword followed by a float expression specifies the
> (horizontal) viewing angle in degrees of the camera used."
>
> Am I wrong to assume that someone can look up the documentation?

Of course not, but using eg "hfov" instead of "angle" means you don't even
need to open the documentation to realise what it is setting.  It also then
means the corresponding vfov could be used, again, without having to lookup
in the documentation.  Once a language syntax gets more complex it's
actually really handy to work like this, where most things are "obvious"
without having to look up in the documentation each time.

> But again, I'm one of those weirdos who actually knows how to read (the
> docs).

...and I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like needless inefficiencies, no
matter how small :-)