POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Free Compilers Vista 64? : Re: Free Compilers Vista 64? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free Compilers Vista 64?
From: scott
Date: 29 May 2009 02:53:57
Message: <4a1f8685@news.povray.org>
> I've checked on Microsoft Visual C++ Express. Free, but you have to
> register it
> (to use it past 30 days), and to register it you need a "Microsoft Live
> ID". (I
> hate to keep track of those things). Apparantly, there are occasional
> problems
> UNinstalling the product in Vista. The online readme has a "Known Bugs"
> section. I hate bugs... we ALL hate bugs. "Known" bugs? EXECUTE them (no I
> don't mean "run" them... I mean use the headsman's AXE! There shouldn't be
> any
> "KNOWN" bugs!)

Been using the MS free C++ compiler for a while now, even converted over
some projects that used to be on the the full VS Pro compiler.  Never had
any issue with bugs and have written a wide range of apps from moderately
complex .net form based to 3D games in DirectX.

Once you've activated VC++ Express you never have to log in again to Live,
so just create an account and then forget about it if you don't like to keep
track of such things.

> Failing that... again, if anyone is equipped to do so, maybe someone could
> build
> these two apps? (I indicated 2 major functions; 1 to create a DF3, one to
> manipulate it, but there isn't any reason these two things couldn't be in
> the
> same app).

I would attempt this, but a) I have almost zero free-time at the moment due
to work, and b) if I did attempt it I would end up making it far too complex
with a nice GUI, hmm I wonder how big a DF3 you can render in real time on
the GPU... :-)