POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax : Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 27 May 2009 16:13:39
Message: <4a1d9ef3@news.povray.org>
Jay Fox wrote:
> I think LFSR generators would be far more common if chip-makers include
d a
> multiplicative equivalent of the XOR operator. In fact, were it not for
 this
> lack of xor-multiplication, LFSR's would be my favorite, as you could m
ake a
> LFSR equivalent of a MWC generator, with very little effort.

	Uh, what would this xor-multiplication do? If you see "xor" as a
bitwise addition, then the bitwise multiplication is done with the
"and" operator, which all modern CPUs have (and in fact this analogy
is even better than the xor-addition since bitwise multiplication
does not have trouble with carry and therefore never overflows).

		Jerome
--
mailto:jeb### [at] freefr
http://jeberger.free.fr