POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Etymology of bozo : Re: DKBTrace/POVRay book idea Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DKBTrace/POVRay book idea
From: Chris Cason
Date: 27 May 2009 04:30:27
Message: <4a1cfa23$1@news.povray.org>
David Buck wrote:
> I'm feeling more and more that there's an interesting story to be told
> about DKBTrace/POVRay that I'm the only person in a position to tell.
> Others can talk about POVRay and what it does but I'm the only one who
> knows where the ideas came from and how it all came to be.  My wife is
> encouraging me to pursue the idea.  I think I'll do some basic research
> and see if it makes sense to propose it to a publisher.

It would be an interesting thing to read, especially getting into the technical
areas. But I don't know if a traditional publisher would be convinced of the
potential. I would suggest perhaps using one of the print-on-demand services
that allow books to be ordered via the internet (e.g. the POV-Ray website could
link to or sell them).

Probably I ought to make the docs available that way someday too; I personally
(having grown up in the pre-personal computer era) prefer tutorial-type
documentation in dead tree format, and in fact one of the first things I did
when learning POV-Ray back in the 1.0 days was print out the entire manual. (I
can remember this because I only a few weeks back did a garage clean-out and
came across the original printout I did about 15 years ago!)

I also would be keen to see a new beginners-type book on POV-Ray, however that's
 a fair chunk of work, though it's possible it could be based on one of the
existing (old) ones as a starting point; I think Eduard's one is probably the
more recent, and I seem to recall he did get the copyright back.

-- Chris