POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Etymology of bozo : Re: DKBTrace/POVRay book idea Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DKBTrace/POVRay book idea
From: Chris Cason
Date: 27 May 2009 04:30:20
Message: <4a1cfa1c@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Conversely, the first book I did, we sold about 7,000 copies and I made
> about $1.50/copy - not quite enough to pay back the advance I received.

Indeed - the book publishing industry really isn't very profitable for the
majority of authors. I recall reading the "Advice to Authors, by Anonymae"
article in RTN many years ago, and suspect that many of the things in it are
still true today.

  http://tog.acm.org/resources/RTNews/html/rtnv9n2.html#art2

Also, the attitude of some publishers towards what they get when a contract is
signed has to be taken into consideration: see for example the Mathworld story
at http://www.ericweisstein.com/authors-rights/erics_commentary.html.

-- Chris