POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rewards : Re: Rewards Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rewards
From: Tim Cook
Date: 26 May 2009 09:30:52
Message: <4a1bef0c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> There's some interesting psychology in there. I mean, like, "buy 1, get
> one free". Sounds great, right?
>
> So how about "buy 1, pay for 2 even though you only bought 1". Suddenly
> it doesn't sound so great, does it? :-P All they're really doing is
> doubling the marked price of the individual item.

Uh..."buy 1, get 1 free" doesn't mean "buy 1, pay for 2".  it means buy
one, pay 1/2.  at least, that's how it works at the local grocery store.

> Apparently it's a well-known fact that whether something is presented as
> a cost or a discount has a large effect on consumer behaviour. If you
> say "buy 10 and get a 10% discount", people think that's great. If you
> say "buy less than 10 and get a 10% surcharge" it's not so great.

Except that's not the same thing at all.  Things *cost more* in small
amounts.  When you buy in bulk, you can get a reduced price because the
cost of production *really is* less.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net