POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer science : Re: Computer science Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer science
From: Darren New
Date: 24 May 2009 20:00:01
Message: <4a19df81$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 25-5-2009 0:39, Darren New wrote:
>> andrel wrote:
>>> physics and especially quantum physics.
>>
>> Yeah, that was really the field I was thinking was most likely.  Yeah,
>> I guess any realistic QED equation would be too hard to calculate
>> precisely, let alone as a teaching thing.
>>
>> But by the time I was in high school, we were doing some pretty
>> "realistic" physics stuff. Things like filing the edges off a Hot
>> Wheels curve and then calculating how high you had to start the car up
>> the ramp to make it go around without falling off.
>
> Ignoring al least 3 types of friction of course.

No, we weren't ignoring anything. We had real live hotwheel cars, real live
track, a piece of tape holding the track to the wall. You calculated where
to start the car, and if it went around without falling off, you were done.

Of course, before you started, you made some measurements like how far the
car rolled straight given different starting heights. The strobe
lights/cameras helped too.

We did similar things with dart guns and a couple other experiments.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)