POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available : Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available Server Time
2 May 2024 05:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
From: Chris Cason
Date: 24 May 2009 08:25:12
Message: <4a193ca8$1@news.povray.org>
BobH wrote:
> You did say in Vista it will go into the user profile... I'm in Windows 7 RC
> (build 7100) and I thought it might be the same way you have it for the
> POV-Ray beta, going into the documents folder with a POV-Ray parent folder
> in there.

Nope, it was too much work to split the program locations in v3.6, it's an
old code base. This is really just a maintenance release to get it working
on Vista.

> This install turned out like earlier P-R betas and went into AppData\roaming
> so the scene files are hidden away. Hopefully not something to do with
> already having the old 3.6.1c in Program Files.

Nope, nothing to do with that. It does create a shortcut to the scene files
on the desktop, though.

> BTW the old POV-Ray icon sure would look better if done like the beta,
> smooth alpha AA. I use the appearance difference to my advantage, of course,
> but I guess we will need to keep them both different and nice-looking...?

Which icon didn't come out well? The program itself, the shortcuts, or the
menu items?

> I had looked at the install log when asked and noticed at the end it
> mentions a reboot = yes. Nothing asked or happened at the end so I restarted

Not sure why that's there, must be some installshield thing that sets up a
reboot if required. However certainly for POVWIN it's not needed.

> Windows 7 but before I did I found the Explorer (user folders and files)
> wasn't allowing me to change settings to show hidden files. Also a padlock
> over the user name icon. Could be my ineptitude about this particular thing
> but thought I better mention it.

Thanks for mentioning it. While I can't explain what that would be caused
by, I'd be surprised if it was the installation.

-- Chris