POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax : Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:28:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 24 May 2009 04:20:47
Message: <4a19035f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> "J�r�me M. Berger" <jeb### [at] freefr> wrote:
>>         By simple curiosity, I've also added Warp's implementation of
Isaac
>> and here is the result (see attached code):
>
>>  > g++ -O3 -lm -o random random.cc IsaacRand.cc
>
>   I suggest adding -march=native in order for gcc to fully optimize i
t for
> your platform. It might make a big difference, especially with this typ
> of code.
	It doesn't change anything here. Remember that the gcc shipped with
most 32-bits linux distros is configured to generate code for the
original Pentium! In this case, forcing the compiler to optimize for
your machine is usually a big win. On 64-bits platforms however,
there is not that much difference between the first generation
Athlon64 and the current generation.

>   (Also -lm is probably not needed. At least I don't need it here.)

	I originally didn't put it, but I added it because it was needed
for the C version. Now that the code is compiled as C++, you're
right it's not needed any more.

>>  > ./random
>> Empty loop:          0ms
>> Kiss64 (int):     6623ms
>> Kiss64 (dbl):     5003ms
>> Alvo (floor):    21539ms
>> Alvo (cast):     14608ms
>> Alvo (tmp+cast): 14664ms
>> Isaac:           10540ms
>
>   I tried running the program on my Pentium4 (with g++ -O3 -march=nat
ive)
> and got the following results:
>
> Empty loop:          0ms
> Kiss64 (int):     2669ms
> Kiss64 (dbl):     2643ms
> Alvo (floor):     2098ms
> Alvo (cast):      1767ms
> Alvo (tmp+cast):  1766ms
> Isaac:             690ms
>
>   The speed seems to be pretty dependant on the CPU type being used...

	So it seems...

--
mailto:jeb### [at] freefr
http://jeberger.free.fr