POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : File name dilemma : Re: File name dilemma Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: File name dilemma
From: Tim Cook
Date: 23 May 2009 17:32:19
Message: <4a186b63$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> If you use the original MD5 as the file name, then add the attributes to
> it, you don't even have to look at the metadata to tell if you already
> have the file. You don't have to hash it, or store the hash anywhere else.

Ehhh, well, the software I use generates and can perform operations on a
file's md5, but not (that I know how to do, at any rate) search for
similar images by comparing the filename to the md5.  Also, when
casually browsing the drive from explorer, md5-as-filename isn't the
most user-friendly option.  My original problem was whether or not to
include redundant data in a filename and its path...which I already do
for manga, so that question is more or less answered for the sake of
uniformity, as well as the fact that if I post a single image to a
bulletin board, it only refers to the filename, not its path.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net