POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A wonderful example... : Re: A wonderful example... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A wonderful example...
From: Darren New
Date: 23 May 2009 15:11:25
Message: <4a184a5d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Do you seriously not see anything wrong with your behavioral pattern?

I don't know. I'm pretty grown up, I like to think. People discussing flaws
(or, in this case, design trade-offs) doesn't bother me.

> main reasons why he chooses to point out flaws precisely in POV-Ray is
> because of those few enthusiasts.

Kind of silly to talk about flaws in something where there's nobody to
disagree with you. It gets kind of boring to say "Hey, Erlang has some
interesting features, but this one sucks", and have everyone go "..."

>   That kind of behavior would get old rather fast. What would be the point?

When's the last time (before this) I started a thread that was harsh to C++?
This really wasn't even about C++ as much as "pile on kludges to fix design
flaws", which holds for Linux and Windows and C++ and Perl and PHP and any
number of other systems. That link just happened to be discussing C++ and
was a good example of the sorts of systems that annoy me. I'm not bashing
C++. I'm bashing the design philosophy that leads to things like C++ being
as complicated as it is, like /usr not having users in it, system32 having
64-bit binaries in it, and so on.

If you don't want to address talking about the topic because the topic
covers C++ in addition to a bunch of other systems, that's fine.

>   You might think that *I* am obsessed with such a thing as some programming
> language, but perhaps you should really look into the mirror sometime and
> ponder exactly why you are continuing to make these posts which you *know*
> are going to be inflammatory.

I know why I'm making the posts. Language design (and API design and OS
design) is of interest to me. If you don't want to discuss the designs of
languages that include C++, then don't. I'm not attacking you, and I'm not
attacking C++.

>   Yes, I have bashed Java and Windows and a few other things really bad.
> However, I do not regularly start threads for the sole reason of pointing
> out flaws in those things (or at least I don't remember doing so in many,
> many years). When some discussion about the subject pops up, then I might
> express my strong opinion, but I'm not on a quest to belittle those things.

I'm not on a quest to belittle C++ either. That web page just happened to be
about C++. If it had been about (say) Perl, I would have said exactly the
same thing.

But I guess if what you're saying is that you don't want to talk about those
things... Andrew is really the only other person here who gets into that,
and he doesn't talk about the system languages.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)