POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A wonderful example... : Re: A wonderful example... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A wonderful example...
From: Darren New
Date: 23 May 2009 13:58:53
Message: <4a18395d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> I was questioning
> your motives for writing such posts again and again.

To discuss computer language design.  If you don't want to talk about that,
then cool, feel free not to.  I thought perhaps you'd look at it, say "this
proposal is bad because X" or "you can already do that with clever technique
Y" or "how do other languages deal with the same problem" or something like
that.

The same as when you flame Java I sometimes can offer suggestions for
getting around its problems, or pointers to (for example) actual studies of
modern GC techniques to dispel some of the out of date myths.

>   We already know that you don't like the language, so there's nothing new.

In this case, it was merely a prime example of the sort of thinking that
leads to the problem. It's not like I flame C++ a whole bunch any more. I
just happened to run across a really good example of something. Had it been
the same thing in some other language, I would have posted that too.

>   Some people post more or less regularly here about their hobbies, or
> about something funny they found on the net (such as an interesting
> article or video).

I do that too. You don't seem to notice or remember, perhaps.

> they are positive in tone and don't harm anyone.

Who did I harm by saying "here's an example of why I think C++ evolves
poorly"?  I'm sorry you have such personal ego wrapped up in a programming
language, but it's really not my intent to "harm" you by discussing
shortcomings in various languages, even the ones you personally like.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)