POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Generating cross-section of a complicated model : Re: Generating cross-section of a complicated model Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generating cross-section of a complicated model
From: Alain
Date: 22 May 2009 15:28:59
Message: <4a16fcfb$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth nous illumina en ce 2009-05-21 17:56 -->
> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>
>>>   I'm directly asking you: In the case of overlapping objects, which color
>>> should be shown in the overlapping part?
>> Well, why are you asking anyway?
>>
>> It's a rhethorical question from all I see, as there is no sensible answer to it
>> (aside from the current averaging approach), which seems to be the point you're
>> trying to make.
>>
>> So why ask, and not just simply make that point.
>>

> I couldn't have stated the situation better myself. ;-)
>
> The spirit of my earlier statements/questions/replies was honestly one of,"Hey,
> let's put our heads together and see if we might be able to solve this!"
> Nothing more was intended. But the general idea became, "Solve what?? What
> problem??" Argumentation ensued. Reminds me of the story of the 'Emperor with
> no clothes'--the Emperor stands there naked, thinking that he's fully clothed,
> while others look and scratch their heads, wondering why he doesn't realize
> that there might be a...problem. I'm sure he argued the point...
>
> Can the current cutaway_textures 'situation' be 're-worked'?  (Notice the
> less-inflammatory language.) Beats me!! Doesn't sound like it can; and I
> understand why. Well, I *mostly* understand, anyway...
>
> KW

"re-worked"? How?

Whenever 2 or more objects with different texture are overlaping, you need to
decide what texture to show.
There are NO way that you can predict what texture to use if you are to only
show one. In two almost identical cases, you may want one texture or the other
to show. Or, the algorythm used may show one texture, then the other after a
slight rotation or translation of the whole object. Sometimes, a slight change
in the composition of the object, like moving or rotating a component, will
cause a switch of the texture used. Add a third object, and the situation will
get even more complex.

You suggested to take "the innermost", but that innermost may not be obvious. It
can only be "obvious", and even then, not always, if, and ONLY if, it's the
texture of an object that is totaly enclosed into another one.

If you don't want the textures to be averaged, you can always cut a hole into
one object to make room for the other.
You do that by deffining one of the objects beforehand, then use a difference to
remove it before you use the union to add it. This will create a perfectly
shaped hole, and there will be no overlaping.

Alain