POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This term has always bothered me ... : Re: This term has always bothered me ... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This term has always bothered me ...
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 22 May 2009 00:05:04
Message: <4a162470$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>> "The American president met
>> the Israel president today."
>
> Actually, I usually hear/read this as "US President Barack Obama met with
> Israeli President Shimon Peres".  Maybe it's just my choice of news
> sources, though.

	I'll agree with Darren. I hear both. Perhaps I was a bit too general.
"American" _is_ often used to refer to things from the US. My point was
that within the US, the country is rarely referred to as "America", with
the exception of certain _phrases_.

	Note where I used "the US" in the preceding paragraph. Within the US
(of A), it would be awkward to say those sentences replacing it with
"America". Some Americans do it, but they're more of an exception.
Perhaps this is a generational thing?

--
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl