POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc. : Re: An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 May 2009 18:04:09
Message: <4a15cfd9$1@news.povray.org>
>>>   How much does it cost to create one CD of music?
>
>> Instruments and training are expensive, depending on what the musician
>> plays.
>
>   Worth 100 million dollars? I don't think so.

Instruments, kitting out a studio, staffing it with talented
professionals, paying their wages while they edit the music down, mix
it, work with the artist(s) to make it sound right. The guys who send
the mixdown to the fab where the CDs get pressed. The graphic artists
who design the cover. The PR people who promote the thing once it's on
the shelves.

The actual CD might cost peanuts to press, but getting to the point
where you have a professional-grade recording to make a CD out of isn't
cheap. (Have you *seen* how much money they want for high-quality
microphones?!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/