POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax : Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax
From: Slime
Date: 21 May 2009 04:13:09
Message: <4a150d15$1@news.povray.org>
>  If you don't care about which RNG is used or how large the seeds are,
> then you can simply ignore the extra stuff and use seed() and rand()
> exactly like now.
>
>  I really don't see how limiting the seeding is "easy for the user".

That's fine then. It's just the simple syntax which is easy.

>  Can you agree that *some* people might find useful uses for longer seeds
> even if you don't, exactly in the same way as some people find useful uses
> for other POV-Ray features that you have never used?

I can agree that they might. However, I can't imagine a situation where it
would be useful, so the point to consider is whether it's worth the time to
implement the feature (and fix any bugs it may have afterwards). At least we
should come up with an imaginary case where someone might benefit from this
functionality.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]