POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax : Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting ideas/opinions for RNG seeding syntax
From: Warp
Date: 19 May 2009 16:28:48
Message: <4a13167f@news.povray.org>
clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Other than that, there's no real use in having a high diversity in seeds.

  I don't agree with the idea that since you can't think of any use of
large seeds, we should not offer them for the user if he wants to use
them, given that the RNGs support them and it's only a question of what
would be the handiest SDL syntax to interface with them.

  Let me as you the reverse question: Why should we *not* offer large
seeds? Why limit the usability of the RNGs for no good reason?

  This is not a question of it being *difficult* to implement. It's just
a question of *choosing* which SDL syntax would be the most fluent to
interface with it. I see absolutely no rational reason to limit the
usability of higher-quality RNGs simply because it's a bit difficult to
choose the SDL syntax.

--
                                                          - Warp