POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watchmen vs The Incredibles : Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles
From: nemesis
Date: 17 May 2009 13:59:39
Message: <4a10508b$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> He set out to make a movie about super-heroes.  He had to draw some
>> references.
>
> Sure he had to, but can you prove that he referenced Watchmen?
>
> When Brad Bird himself denies it, then you're left with two stories that
> have similarities.  NOT one story based on another.
>
> Believe it or not, coincidences DO happen.  Given the public zeitgeist,
> the idea of a "fallen hero" has been popular for quite some time, and
> nostalgia is always a seller.  It's no wonder that somebody made a movie
> about retired superheroes, whether or not the person who made it has
> seen or read Watchmen.

I don't believe in coincidences at all in this case.  It's not a "fallen
hero", nor "retired superheroes".

I'll be redundant and repeat it again:
* *outlawed* super-heroes
* a suggested plot to kill past super-heroes
* the villain undergoes a quest for personal heroism by saving the world
from a faked attack to a city with a huge squid monster
* huge squid monster raised on a remote Island
* "no cape"
* "villain" uses cape

I agree with Darren that all but the first 2 are pretty common elements.
  What I don't agree is to see all these very same elements together in
the same order as they appear in Watchmen in The Incredibles as well.
Why not other staple elements, or at least in another order?

He also denies Fantastic Four, but still you have a family quartet with:
* similar name for the heroes (Incredible/Fantastic)
* similar uniforms (different color, i instead of 4)
* a super-strong being (Mr. Incredible/The Thing)
* an elastic being (Elastigirl/Mr Fantastic)
* an invisible woman able to create force fields (Violet/Ms. Fantastic)
* a high-energy being (Dash/Human Torch) (actually, Dash has more to do
with The Flash sure)
* a last enemy by the name of Underminer resembles a lot the The Mole
Man, first enemy of FF

Funnily enough, wikipedian moderators allowed the reference to Fantastic
Four, despite no acknowledgment from Bird either.  This is what truly
pissed me off about the whole thing.  One simply can't list the shared
plot details between The Incredibles and Watchmen, either under
criticism section or even in the talk page.