POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Star Trek movie whoops.... : Re: Star Trek movie whoops.... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Star Trek movie whoops....
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 May 2009 17:36:03
Message: <4a0f31c3$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> It sounds like this article was full of pop-psychology nonsense to me.
> Dismissing past experiences is denying the things that make you who you
> are and prevent you from learning from past mistakes.  It is human nature
> to want to avoid things that remind us of painful times and events.  It's
> a self-preservation mechanism.
>
> Jim

Well, a lot of that is my interpretation. But, even I am not saying,
"Deny your past.", just, "Be aware of why you have the reaction." In
point of fact, I am not even specifically talking about the contents of
the original article the post was made to. I don't remember what it was,
but I think it was some tirade being made by some wacko about how chat
rooms where all evil, because it wasn't a church social. The comment I
referred to was someone else mentioning the statement made in someone's
book, that in the authors opinion, most of anything made in any given
time period isn't worth much, and that history shows a tendency for
people to filter out most of the bad things, except when they
can't/don't, and then they tend to, instead, filter out the good things.
This means, in a practical sense, that, for example, Mozart may have
written some brilliant unknown composition, only it got lost in
someone's attic, while some piece of total junk written in the same
period survived, purely do to having been included in someone's play.
History loses some things it shouldn't, and keeps some it shouldn't.
People tend to help this, by mis-associating things. For example, this
hypothetical lost work of Mozart may have landed in the attic due to
some big event that just "happened" to cast a negative light on music
for the only person that had an intact copy.

Its possible that you may be missing out on something because you are
allowing a real issue you had to prevent you enjoying something that had
nothing at all to do with it. And its hardly pop-psychology. Fact is,
its key to some techniques used to rid people of phobias as well, since,
if you think about it, this is a form of phobia and/or obsession. And in
such cases, "getting past it", requires disassociating the original
event from the unconnected trigger. This is harder to manage with
"positive" associations, but.. I don't think you would disagree that
some such things can be unhealthy too, if they detract from ones ability
to deal objectively with something new. You certainly wouldn't likely
disagree if I was talking about someone insisting on wearing their
"lucky jock strap" in a ball game, because they formed some irrational
association between wearing it and winning, but this is hardly different
than calling 100% of everything on TV "bad", because its not a 1960s
western, or an old war movie.

The point is, not to deny your experience, just... don't let it turn you
into the grumpy old man that hates everything new, because that "new
thing" reminds you of The Beatles, instead of some other band you
actually liked. ;)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {