POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watchmen vs The Incredibles : Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles
From: nemesis
Date: 16 May 2009 13:04:13
Message: <4a0ef20d@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
> I'm sure enough people have noticed the similarity to find
> citations via Google.
> http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bal-to.sragow13mar13,0,3736906.story

That's, I guess, a nice link from a "credible" source.  Thanks.

> Still, it probably belongs in the critics section...

Yeah, I tried it but it got deleted again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Incredibles&oldid=290239216#Critics

I just said it shared many similarities to the plot of Watchmen.  But is
well known, nazis don't read.

> There's no telling what Brad Bird thought, or when he thought it.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_subconscious
> Comics often get pretty close to archetypes, that's just how it is.
> It'd be more surprising if the monsters didn't have tentacles =P

How about outlawed super-heroes?  It's been told and retold ever since
Watchmen, not before it.  It's in The Incredibles, Hancock and possibly
more...

As Alan Moore himself noticed:  "The gritty, deconstructivist postmodern
superhero comic, as exemplified by Watchmen, also became a genre."
http://www.avclub.com/articles/alan-moore,13821/

> Still, I've heard enough stories about writers having their
> stories stolen by producers in Hollywood to think that
> probably is what happened with The Incredibles.

I heard before of a french author of child books claiming his book about
a little clown-fish called Pierrot was adapted into Nemo without his
consent.  Now I'll be more weary of Pixar "story-first" approach...

> DC comics or the original writers probably had grounds
> for a lawsuit, but that would have soured their relationship
> with Hollywood for other projects, like the Watchmen film.

Indeed.