POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watchmen vs The Incredibles : Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles
From: Darren New
Date: 16 May 2009 00:45:29
Message: <4a0e44e9$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Bird will not say that.  He'll say he's taken the idea from his own
> family.

Contrast with...

> So, another guy above was telling that Star Wars, Matrix and others have
> all pretty generic plots revolving around religious themes.

Note that the accepted one is about plot, while the rejected one is about
what the author was thinking. You didn't say "the plot of Incredibles is
similar to the plot of Watchmen."  You said "The author of the Incredibles
had certain thought processes that he is lying about ever having had."

> yes, that's sarcasm.  And that's by abstracting the whole plot down to
> the very generic core.  One does not need to do that to see the
> similarities in the plots of Watchmen and The Incredibles.

So what?

> It's not needed that the author spells it out plainly so that one can
> see parodies.  For instance, Wall-e parodies 2001 in the ship computer
> resembling HAL.  Was it needed for Wall-e's author to spell it out?  No,
> one only needs to known there was a movie 2001 and a computer called HAL
> with a large recognizable eletronic eye.

I do see it has many similarities. So what?

Again, you're arguing that your original research is correct. Wikipedia
doesn't want original research.

It's like arguing that your research on cancer cures should be published by
the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery). It doesn't matter if you've
found 100% effective cures for every kind of cancer known. ACM isn't going
to publish it for you. Neither is Wikipedia, for that matter.

 > Fact is:  you guys don't know
 > Watchmen -- nor care about reading the plot details -- and can't see how
 > frakking similar it is to the plot of The Incredibles.

Do you not understand we're agreeing with you that the plots are similar? IT
DOESN'T MATTER. You're publishing in the wrong venue.

You know what? If you actually read and thought about what people were
writing to you here, you'd realize you've been mistaken all along, but I
guess you're too lazy or stupid to think about the arguments. See? Works
great, doesn't it? Really makes you want to pay attention when someone tells
you the only reason you could possibly be wrong is you're too pig-headed to
think about what the other person is saying, doesn't it?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)