POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watchmen vs The Incredibles : Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 May 2009 22:12:09
Message: <4a0e20f9@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 15 May 2009 23:07:34 -0300, nemesis wrote:

> Darren New wrote:
>> nemesis wrote:
>>> I'm just saying there that "The incredibles" has a very similar plot
>>> to Watchmen
>>
>> No, you're saying Incredible was *inspired* by Watchmen, not just
>> similar.
>>
>> You would need to show that Brad Bird, for example, was aware of
>> Watchmen and knew the plot when he was making the Incredibles, as a
>> minimum.
>
> How could he not be aware of this classic?  You know Alan Moore was
> featured in a Simpsons episode?  You know Brad Bird was creative
> consultant to the Simpsons?  No, I don't know if the episode is from
> before or after he left, what I do know is:
>
> * a super-hero world where heroes are banned is by itself a very
> non-conventional plot for a super-hero story (at least until Watchmen
> got it done)
> * the plot is kicked off when an older hero goes missing (and is found
> to be dead)
> * the villain threatens the world with a fake attack so that he can be
> "heroic"
> * the threat is a huge, monocular monster with tentacles * the monster
> was raised in a remote Island * the dead hero was killed because of what
> the plans he uncovered in the Island
> * cape is bad for your health
>
> If that's not enough for a link, I'll eat my underwear...

Get your fork out, apparently it isn't.  There's nothing *substantiated*
there, just a bunch of guesses.

Star Wars, The Belgariad, and Dune, and Magician:Apprentice (and its
sequels) all have a common plot - the world is in trouble and then saved
by a messiah character.  That doesn't mean they were inspired by the
Bible (or that any of their authors read the Bible or were even inspired
by it).

Jim