POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Star Trek movie whoops.... : Re: Star Trek movie whoops.... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Star Trek movie whoops....
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 May 2009 21:07:48
Message: <4a0e11e4$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2009 15:34:27 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> I've heard that; part of what turned me off, to be honest, was the
>>> "hair band" theme music.  But I didn't give it much of a chance, I'll
>>> admit to that. :-)
>>>

>> Why does everyone hate the music? Mind, it would have been nice to see
>> something more "original", but the opening music matched the whole,
>> "This is just one more step in a long progression.", kind of idea.
>
> I think largely the reason I disliked it so intensely was it was kinda a
> throwback to the 80's (not a happy time for me) and the idea of Star Trek
> theme music with a vocal was just unappealing to me.
>
> Jim

Hmm. Interestingly I read something recently that stated that the
problem many "older people" have with new things involves nostalgia.
They see/hear things that remind them of how they felt "before", and as
a result, depending on those feelings, they may avoid them, or seek them
out, and in the process, ignore everything else from the same time
period. This was in the context of explaining the idea of why people
constantly whine about everything "today" being a mess, but the past
"perfect". As the article writer put it, 90% of everything ever made is
crap, but history tends to filter out most of the bad stuff, and,
unfortunately, some of the good, leaving behind a badly skewed
perspective on just how good or bad things are now, compared to how they
where before.

Had a recent example of that even. Some guy saying, "Well, some obscure
village decided to lock themselves in, in kindness to the plague
infected, so those infected could walk the streets for a bit in peace,
but would anyone do that today?" Well, maybe not, but its *choosing* to
ignore the other millions of things people in the same period did to
each other on a daily basis that where "not" good, just to make some
lame point about the "charity" of modern people. And, its not
necessarily even an accurate example of how things have changed.

My father might be the opposite sort. His perspective is that things
have always been, on some level, bad, and filled with crazy people, so
today is no different. He can't see the point of *trying* to change
things. And what changes he does allow himself to see involve movies he
doesn't like, because they are not like "his", music he hates, because
its just noise, unlike his, etc.

We can choose to see reality, or to see the past as a great place where
nice things happened to us, or to see it as one where bad things did. In
the end, both of the later are purely self delusion, and prevent you
living in the current time, without your perspective of the past one
undermining the truth of what is happening "now". Both live in the past,
and can't see either the problems, or the progress, that exists "now".

It presents me with a need to remind myself that, when something crops
up I don't like too much, I need to ask myself, "Is this for a good
reason, or just because its either, 'from a time I don't remember a lot
of good things from', or, 'similar to something that happened when I
felt good about the world', but, never the less, "not" as good or bad as
I want to perceive it to be.

Its very hard to remember the positives of some time you where having
problems, or the bad in times you where doing well. But, its important
to consider both, if you can, otherwise, you end up being some 70 year
old man whining about how everything you see on TV, or at the movies, is
crap, unlike 90% of everything you ever saw 50 years ago. ;) lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {