POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watchmen vs The Incredibles : Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles
From: nemesis
Date: 15 May 2009 21:05:00
Message: <4a0e113c$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:24:30 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> That would be kinda self-reinforcing, wouldn't it?
>> The point is not to add content to wikipedia based on wikipedia content.
>>   The wikipedia content at question is merely a plot overview.  I'm just
>> saying there that "The incredibles" has a very similar plot to Watchmen
>> and for the purpose of illustration I link to the plot overview in the
>> wikipedia entry for Watchmen.  Which itself has no other reference than
>> the work itself.
>
> The problem is that because of the nature of Wikipedia, if you create an
> entry that says "All elephants are blue" and cite another Wikipedia
> article that contains that assertion as a source, you're not really
> citing a source.

If the plot in the Watchmen entry can't be taken for granted, they'd
better just drop the whole entry altogether.  If however it is accurate
info, I don't see why I can't link to it.  The only other option is to
read the damn graphic novel, really.

BTW, just found this:
http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2009/03/watchmen_vs_the_incredibles.html

Thankfully not just me... Now that people have watched the Watchmen
movie (bad pun), I guess The Incredibles entry should be updated.  Back
then when I watched it, I saw some people making the link to Watchmen,
but since I never read it, I didn't knew to what extent.

Of course, most animation output is parodies in the same way as Shrek
and it's parodying of pop culture and fairy tales... but I thought Pixar
was all about story, not parody alone.

Whatever it is, The Incredibles and it mix of Fantastic Four, Watchmen
and 007 is still good fun.  But now I understand why the plot itself was
so great...