POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Science : Re: Science Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Science
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 May 2009 14:35:41
Message: <4a0db5fd$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Just a quick question: *Why* would you want to dissolve it in the first place?
>
> If it is only about rendering it unusable, how about a nice oscillating magnetic
> field? Microwave oven? Using a strong hole punch axially on the spool to convert
> it to confetti? Cutting the spool in two halves using a strong paper cutter? ...

How do you prove that the magnetic field was strong enough to erase it
properly, all the way through? OTOH, if you cut it to ribbons or
dissolve it, there's little doubt that it's destroyed.

Microwave oven would be a tad hazardous, I suggest.

I have tried using a saw to cut it in half, but it's slow, hard work,
and if you don't manually tease the fragments apart, they tend to latch
on to each other at their friad ends, so you can still reconstruct the
correct sequencing. But it takes *ages* to seperate them all by hand...

I also tried the shredder. But it's like trying to shred clingfilm.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/