POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Vista stupidity : Re: Another Vista stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Vista stupidity
From: Warp
Date: 15 May 2009 04:39:05
Message: <4a0d2a28@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Not since the days of PC-DOS and DR-DOS, but look at Windows Media
> Player, Internet Explorer, the ability to read zip files without needing
> to buy WinZip, the ability to write data CDs from explorer...because MS
> has a majority market share, *any* feature they add stifles competitors
> trying to monetise the same feature in niche markets.  (Did I reach my
> buzzword quota?)

  I have never heard of those, but even if it's true, there's a sense of
irony in there. Microsoft itself is quite infamous for whining about why
Linux is "communism" and deteriorates good old capitalistic principles
where people should pay for what they use. (And all this because Linux
takes something like 2% of the market share in the OS market.)

--
                                                          - Warp