POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Vista stupidity : Re: Another Vista stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Vista stupidity
From: Tim Cook
Date: 15 May 2009 04:00:08
Message: <4a0d2108$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Yeah, but MS gets slapped on the wrist for including things.  It's
>> anticompetitive for the little guys that make stand-alone utilities.
>
>   Since when? Has someone complained eg. about the command prompt?

Not since the days of PC-DOS and DR-DOS, but look at Windows Media
Player, Internet Explorer, the ability to read zip files without needing
to buy WinZip, the ability to write data CDs from explorer...because MS
has a majority market share, *any* feature they add stifles competitors
trying to monetise the same feature in niche markets.  (Did I reach my
buzzword quota?)

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net