POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : WOW factor : Re: WOW factor Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WOW factor
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 May 2009 16:38:08
Message: <4a0c8130$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 14 May 2009 15:32:06 -0400, nemesis wrote:

>> On Thu, 14 May 2009 10:26:12 -0400, Halbert wrote:
>>
>> > I haven't heard the score yet. (I am a musician too, 2 music majors
>> > in college.) I will keep my ears out for it though.
>>
>> I've got the complete recordings set (all three films), and the music
>> is incredible.  Shore demonstrates a wide variety of styles and did a
>> surprisingly good job with it.
>
> Yes, terrific score.  That's despite me being a Tolkien fan. :)

LOL

I liked the films, and am a Tolkien fan (I was going to do a special
study of Tolkien in high school, just never got all the books I needed
together for the proposal), but I look at the films differently than most
who consider themselves "hardcore" Tolkien fans.

Tolkien set out to create a mythology for England - most of the
mythologies that existed up to that point were non-English; the Arthurian
legend, for example, was largely adopted by the French in the early
1200s.  So while Arthur himself was English, ideas like the Holy Grail
and the addition of Lancelot are generally credited to French authors.

One of Tolkien's goals was to create something that was uniquely English
in origin.

The thing about mythologies is, of course, that they go through a great
many retellings, and often details get changed, parts are removed and
shuffled around, and some parts are dropped.

So approaching the films from a mythological point of view, they hold up
quite well.

Jim