POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting dice problem : Re: Interesting dice problem Server Time
9 Oct 2024 04:03:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting dice problem
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 14 May 2009 15:10:17
Message: <4a0c6c99$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> If you use toes as well as fingers, then sure.
>
>   Note that rolling a 2d6 is *not* the same as rolling a 1d12 (or, more
> precisely, 1d11+1).

I should have read the dice notation page before I posted.  In that
case, if you have N players you can all play rick-paper-scissors at
once, and the winner (if there's no tie) is the person who wins the most
of the pairwise games.  This should be like a 1dN dice roll.  I suppose
you could always play multiple rounds to mimic a MdN roll.

If you're limited to two players it's a bit trickier, but I think it's
still pretty easy to mimic a 1dN roll with the following game:  Both
players pick a number between 0 and N-1, then you add the numbers mod N
and use the result as the value of the "roll".