POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POV-Ray 4 SDL: Some concrete proposal : Re: POV-Ray 4 SDL: Some concrete proposal Server Time
1 May 2024 23:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 4 SDL: Some concrete proposal
From: Peter Hokanson
Date: 13 May 2009 14:07:19
Message: <4a0b0c57$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> I think the right way to go is take an established free open-source
> language (which should be bytecode-based, have a very simple core, and
> designed to be embedded into other software; my current champion for this
> would be Lua) and replace or heavily modify its parser to suit the
> specific needs of POV-Ray.

While I do see your point, I think that Python has some features that might
make this manageable.  For example:

from povray import *
MyTex = texture(pigment=(1,1,1))
sphere((0,0,0),5,texture=MyTex)

Even if this isn't the default interface, it would be nice to have the
programming capabilities of Python to use in a POV-Ray scene.  I've thought
about writing something similar myself, but it would be a lot of work.

Also, Python is pretty fast, and could implement custom features/shaders
without recompiling POV:

class MyCam(camera):
	def makeRay(x,y):
		"""Define a ray from the camera from x,y pixels"""
		return ray(...)

def myfunc(x,y,z):
	"""We could use traditional Python functions for isosurfaces and similar"""
	return x+y+z

One of the things that has annoyed me about the existing SDL as of late is
that not all blocks can be declared (patterns and others cannot be).