POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That XKCD thing : Re: That XKCD thing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That XKCD thing
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 13 May 2009 08:10:38
Message: <4a0ab8be@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 13:56:07 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>

>>> Flying is pretty common for me.
>>>

>> I've had several dreams where I'm attempting to land a 747 on a highway.
>>    Usually I'm successful, then wind up taxiing the plane all around
>> town, being careful not to snag any telephone poles.
>
> Mine tend to be without the aid of aircraft.  Just floating/flying,
> seeing my neighborhood from a bird's-eye-view.
>
>> NOTE: I have no clue how to fly a jet like that. If I'm ever at the
>> controls of such a beast .... :/
>
> Get on the radio and call the nearest tower (hopefully the frequency set
> correctly) and ask for the vectors to an airport with an instrument
> landing system.  Ask for the frequency of the ILS on the active runway
> and the tower frequency (so you can notify the tower you need to make an
> emergency landing).  Ask the tower for a precision radar approach to the
> ILS.
>
> Use the autopilot heavily to adjust altitude, heading, and airspeed.  Set
> the NAV1 radio to the ILS frequency and set the autopilot to use the NAV1.
>
> Set the autopilot also to follow the glidescope.
>
> And make damned sure the altimeter setting is correct.  You don't want to
> hit the ground until the right moment.
>
> Oh, and put the landing gear down.  That helps.

*Jots this down* I'll keep that in mind, should I ever need to act out
the heroic efforts of poorly acted action at 35,000 feet film. ;)

> (Can you tell I spend too much time flying simulators?  And in particular
> 747s?)
>
> Jim

Heh. I have FSX. I've played around with the Airbus A380 (I think?) Love
it when I approach the airport and start getting "Sink Rate" and "Pull
Up" messages. :D Though, I can land properly in FS, but basically in
free-flight, I've never tried to use the NAV equipment or talk to the
tower...

--
~Mike