POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Completely random and silly questions : Re: Completely random and silly questions Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Completely random and silly questions
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 12 May 2009 22:03:21
Message: <4a0a2a69$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Lethal doses of pure capsaicin that I've read about are about 47 mg per
> kg of the victim.

So we're talking like a half-teaspoon of capsaicin here?  That would
indeed be a scary amount.

Offhand, so you know what causes it to be toxic?  I was only aware of it
binding to hear/pain receptors and I don't see how this would cause a
problem except from the body's reaction to it.  Or perhaps it's just the
case that at some level that reaction generally becomes fatal?